Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Fourth of July

When it comes down to it I think Christmas is probably everyone's favorite holiday...but I tell ya, the Fourth of July seems to be the most dear to me. I love the summer, barbecues, parades, carnivals, fairs, baseball, fireworks, picnics, and, of course, I love our country. Like Christmas, the real reason for all this celebration is certainly lost for most, but it's still so heart warming to see so many people come together and celebrate our independence and birth as a nation.

Let the celebration begin...

Flag ceremony and breakfast at the park and then a hometown parade


All the little kids in Marriott-Slaterville get to ride their bikes to kick off the parade, but this year Lucas rode his four-wheeler.
I got a big kick out of these girls in my ward.
Notice right below their banner it says "self-appointed". Funny!
Then we headed over to the Marriott Park for the Freedom Festival. We have all the typical small town activities...pie-eating contests, raffles, games, prizes, hamburgers, hot dogs...you get the idea. Marriott-Slaterville is the kind of place that you come back to for the holidays. Even people who have grown-up and moved away years ago always come back. There were about 500 people at the park and the MC knows most people by name and calls them out to participate in the contests and things. It's so great...who knew I'd love this place so much!?


After that we had to hurry home, clean up a bit, and pack up for the Bees game. We've had this tradition going with the Espinosa's and our friends the McCombers for quite a few years now. There isn't a better place to spend your evening on the Fourth! I LOVE IT!






See, nothing but good times. :)
Man, I love the food. I swear I didn't eat all that myself.

By the time the game and fireworks were over it was past midnight and we were DEAD tired. Jane's blessing was the next day (I know, right?) and we weren't quite ready so we still had to fit in a Wal-Mart run. There isn't anything more depressing that having to go to Wal-Mart on Satuday night. It's a miracle we didn't crash driving home...seriously. It was a CRAZY weekend, but we survived, and it was all worth it.

7 comments:

Suzie said...

I LOVE the self appointed royalty! That totally reminds me of something we would do!

Sure you didn't eat all of that food, I bet you even had your lazy eating face on. Was your wrist slumped over too?

Ella said...

I really missed the MSC celebration this year. :( It is a great one. LOVE the pictures. Jane looks so cute in her patriotic outfit and blanket. (I like the blue stars;) You are a great mom!

The 4th is right up there with Christmas for me too. Although December is usually a little less crazy for me than July. Go figure. I'm glad they're 6 months apart. Yay for our founding fathers signing the declaration so far away from Christmas! They really were inspired.

Megan @ Megity's Handmade said...

She looks so cute, but even sweeter in person. Love the blanket especially. Isn't it fun to dress little girls up?

I just made my blog private so if you want an invite, send me an email.

April said...

Such great pictures. So good to see you too for a sec. Too bad it was so stinkin' crowded. Maybe one time we'll get to chat. I know Sarah is coming up to o-town next week, we should all get together. Kindle lives here now too so it would be so fun.

dixon.mary said...

I love the beauty queens! Clever.

The picture of Janie on the star blanket is so precious -- her shoes look like big slippers!

Unknown said...

I love those boys in front of the scoreboard. Very fancy!

I always like having to play a concert on the fourth instead of having fun with you guys.

Oh wait, I don't like that at all. :(

cathi said...

Love that 4th of July Bees game! There is just nothing better, we had so much fun. I love the last picture of you with the food. Awesome!
Cool blue stars. You are tricky!