Sunday, August 9, 2009

Soakin up the Sun

The end of summer is coming way too quickly...I'm not looking forward to sending Lucas back into the lone and dreary world of school. :( We're trying to fit as much fun family time in as we can in the next few weeks.

Lucas has been quite the entrepreneur this summer. Grandma Deru let him take a box of peaches to the Farmer's market a couple weeks ago and he made a whopping $5! Then he and his little friend Cannon stood on the side of the road the other day and tried to sell corn. He'd hold the sign up and wave and every car that drove by. People couldn't resist the wave.

Have you been to a drive-in lately? There used to be 30 in Utah and now there are only seven left. I'm afraid it won't be long before they're all closed down. I haven't been to one for probably 15 years and David never had so we decided it was high time we went. We went to the double feature Aliens in the Attic/Ice Age 3. I definitely could have gone my entire life without having seen either of those movies but it didn't even matter. We packed the cooler with picnic delights, threw the frisbee around till the sun set, and then climbed in the back of the pick-up and enjoyed the outdoor cinema. Lucas hasn't stopped talking about it since.




I made an attempt to get some patriotic pics of the kids in their red, white, and blue outfits. I get an A for effort and the kids get a A for non-compliance. This one was kinda cute.

There was an exhibit called Toadally Frogs at the Natural History Museum in Salt Lake and Grandma Deru thought that it would be fun if we all went down together. We decided to take the Frontrunner and make a little adventure out of it.

They all kept busy and had a great time on the train.



Anna

The frogs were a big hit with the kiddos.


Jamesy and Noah..BFFs


Doesn't this just send shivers down your spine?!

Afterwards Grandma brought a picnic
Lynette has the best summer salads. Yay, for fresh garden produce!

By the end of day the kids were BEAT. They both slept like rocks that night...I really should do this more often.

7 comments:

Marc and Miriam Deru said...

It's so fun to relive the day through your pictures! I love your photography.

So I guess we're going on another day trip this Thursday, huh? Maybe we can plan something fun for the kids to do on the train ride. I'll think about it.

Marc and Miriam Deru said...

Forgot to say how much I like the picture of Lucas and Cannon selling corn. If Lucas ever has to make a poster about himself or his summer activities, this one has got to be on it. 'The Entrepreneur' (sp?).

You packed a lot on this post!

Ella said...

The pictures from the museum day turned out so cute! Oh and the movie, oh and selling corn, oh and the patriotic outfits... are you trying to test our comment memories? :o)

cathi said...

I'm with Mary, they are all great pictures! I like the one of you guys all in the back of the truck at the drive-in. That sweet little Jane just still amazes me. A baby at a drive-in. Go figure.

p.s. I want some of that salad. Yummy!

Unknown said...

Hey!

Save a piece of that corn for me for later!

Kylee said...

How fun! I was sad I missed the day with the frogs. Although that spider picture makes me kind of glad. :) I love that picture of Lucas and Jane on the blanket together!

kimber said...

I took this SAME adventure last week and you know what, Patti...my pictures look NOTHING like yours...not a keeper in the bunch. You are amazing. Love these pictures!